Mary Lanning Healthcare is proud to provide interested students the opportunity to learn about healthcare careers first hand. High school students in their senior year and college students are welcome to apply for a career exploration experience.
High school students must submit the job shadow request form a minimum of three weeks before the desired shadowing date and participate in HIPAA Training, prior to observing in any clinical area. Students must also meet the Mary Lanning dress code standard and be compliant with current immunizations. Students can select from most clinical areas and a typical observation experience is usually two to four hours.
Clinical areas that participate in career exploration include:
- Cardiopulmonary (Respiratory Therapy)
- Laboratory (Medical Technologist)
- Physical and Occupational Therapy
- Radiologic Technology
If you have an interest in an area that is not mentioned above, do not hesitate to contact us.
Requests will be coordinated by the Department of Education in collaboration with other hospital departments and should precede the experience by a minimum of three weeks.
- A written request for the experience is required, which includes personal objectives and/or course objectives (if applicable), instructor’s comments, school year of the applicant, and reason for the experience.
- Requests for career shadowing experiences should precede experience by at least three weeks.
- Scheduling will be coordinated through the Department of Education.
- Extent of career shadowing experience for high school students shall be up to a half day. Arrangements for additional time may be made depending on the availability and interest of the student and staff.
- Students involved in the experience will:
- Be expected to dress appropriately for a hospital setting (“dressy” casual, no jeans or tennis shoes, closed toe shoes are required). Students dressed inappropriately will be sent home.
- Be identified with a name tag (provided by Education Dept) and lab coat, if required (provided by the hospital).
- Indicate understanding and willingness to follow confidentiality policy.
- Provide documentation of current immunizations.
- Respect patient's rights for modesty and privacy.
For more information, contact:
Jodi Sowl BSN, RN
Dept. of Education
Mary Lanning also provides other educational opportunities for high school students throughout the school year. Contact your high school guidance counselor for other Health Career educational opportunities.