"Coming home from the hospital sounded so good to me. I was anxious to get home . . . very anxious."
A Focus On Life
Home is where everyone feels the most comfortable. Being in a familiar setting surrounded by one’s own belongings provides a sense of comfort.
Mary Lanning Hospice provides a special way of caring for a person with a life-limiting illness. Support is provided for physical, emotional and spiritual needs . . . for both the patient and the family.
Hospice is a philosophy of care that accepts death as a natural part of life, seeking neither to hasten nor prolong the dying process. Members of the Mary Lanning Hospice Team assist the patient and family in the management of symptoms so that each day may be lived to the fullest. The focus of hospice is on life.
The Mary Lanning Hospice Team strives to teach families and caregivers awareness and management of a life-limiting illness. Team members prepare the family and caregiver to anticipate changes. Mary Lanning Hospice is available on-call 24-hours a day, seven days a week to assist the patient and family in meeting the challenge of a life-limiting illness.
Many Services Are Available
- Intermittent visits by nurses, nurse aides and social workers
- Assistance with the coordination of services and supplies
- On-call services 24-hours a day, seven days a week
- Support through trained volunteers
- Spiritual and emotional support, and counseling
- Short-term inpatient care for management of symptoms not manageable at home
- Brief periods of respite care
- Consultation with Hospice Team members, physicians, therapists, dietitians and other specialists, as needed, to maintain quality of life
- Bereavement follow-up with family members
Hospice does not replace a patient’s family or caregivers. Instead, it provides support and enhancement to the care the family provides at home. Mary Lanning Hospice believes the patient should be allowed to control the decisions made at this time in his or her life. Team goals are focused on meeting the needs of the patient and family members.
Care is available to patients and families regardless of race, color, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, diagnosis, handicap or economic status. Mary Lanning Hospice is state licensed, Medicare certified and accredited through the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
Contributions to Mary Lanning Hospice are tax deductible.
- The patient has a life-limiting illness and qualifies for services as certified by their attending physician.
- The patient and family understand that services are directed toward symptom control, pain management and support, not toward a cure for the illness.
- The patient has a caregiver available, has made arrangements for caregiving as necessary, or has a plan for caregiving if needed.
- The patient must reside in the service area. Mary Lanning Hospice serves Adams, Webster, Clay, Kearney and Nuckolls Counties, as well as portions of Hall, Hamilton and Franklin Counties.
- The patient and family choose to remain at home as much as possible.
In most cases, Medicare, Medicaid and other insurance policies cover the costs associated with Hospice services.
Give me your hand,
Give me your care,
Give me your understanding,
Give me your love,
Then let me go peacefully . . .
And help my family to understand.
For more information about Mary Lanning Hospice, call 402-460-5868.