Designed for individuals living with diabetes and their family members, this program teaches diabetes control. It is sponsored by the Mary Lanning Healthcare Diabetes Program, and includes:
- Hastings Area Diabetes Education and Support Group
- Diabetes Health Fair (held each May)
- El Paquete Total Program, targeting the minority population
- Camp HotShots Central Nebraska, for children ages 6-12 with diabetes
- Foot and ToeNail Clinic
- "Better Choices Better Sugars" Grant program focusing on individual wellness.
- Presentations throughout the community on diabetes management
Call the diabetes program at 461-5318 for more information
Carb Counting Class
Learn how to recognize carbohydrate-rich foods, choose appropriate portions, calculate carb intake using various resources and determine your carbohydrate needs.
Overview of Diabetes Management
This class will explain the difference between pre-diabetes; type 1 and type 2 diabetes; the importance of glucose monitoring, diabetes management with nutrition, exercise, medication and stress management; prevention of long- and short-term complications; and changing behavior.
DeAnn Carpenter, RN MS CDE
Nurse Educator, Program Coordinator